lunes, 15 de junio de 2015

RUBRIC USE AND DEVELOPMENT

RUBRIC USE AND DEVELOPMENT

A rubric is an evaluation tool that help students to understand better what is expected from them in an activity. Also, it is the way we show students and parents what is the purpose of what they are doing. This tool is useful for students in order to realize what is going to be assessed and how they can achieve it.

There are two kinds of rubrics, they are Holistic and Analytic. In order to use one of this type of rubric, first we must be aware of which one will be useful for every activity.

Holistic rubrics are the ones who describe students' work as a single score. This means that work will be graded just once and it does not provide or require extensive feedback. This is an example of summative assesment.

Analytic rubrics, in the other hand, are desing to grade every stage of performance given specific feedback to students, and finally will gave us a final score.

It is important for us as teacher to use rubrics in order to make things easier not only for students but also for us, this makes evaluation easier , sincer students know what are paying attention in. It also provides standars to students, which will be usefull during certification, as we know, they are made of standars that aspirants should be able to fufill

In this case, I desinged my own rubric, wich is an analytic rubric. My rubric is desing to evaluate an oral presentation. I decided to do my rubric on oral presentation because we are focusing on communicative competence.
I included aspects of language production, but also the way they connect ideas and how students use their languange resourses.

Since this is my first time working with rubrics, Rubistar is an awesome tool, this allow experienceless rubric desingners to have a model to follow. And not only with the aspect that will be evaluated but also with the grades or the criteria that could be given in each aspect. The only problema with rubristar is the format. you can just simply save your rubric, but rather you have save it several times in order to keep editing it. Another important issue is the amount of time that this tool gives us. I have to save my rubric reveral times in order to keep editing because Rubistar only offers 40 minutes.

Finally, I find really useful the model that is proposed in the articule. "Rubrics use and development" because as the title says, provides to readers enough information to develop their own rubric, which is also useful not only for begginers but also for those who want to polish their rubric development skills.

2 comentarios:

  1. I agree with you in Rubistar is an useful tool for begginers. However, as you have mentioned, Rubistar also requires a certain amount of patience because of the problems saving each change in the rubric. I think you made a brief and clear description of what a rubric is. I also could notice the use of one preposition which I'm not sure "I decided to do my rubric on oral presentation..."

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I noticed many mistakes in the use of passive voice and in spelling, the next time try to check it like twice. it is something that we can correct and you hace the knowledge.

    The content of your post was well organized and it caught my attention I wanted to read more.

    I agree with you with timing, I had to chose many information there and copy and paste it, then I had to close my account in order to work better in my rubric with word documents program and after make my rubric in this web page.

    ResponderEliminar